The truth about the aids panic

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jan 24 17:59:16 PST 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, James Heartfield wrote:

> holocaust denier. Those who are sent in a spin over Aids ought to ask
> themselves what they have to be so defensive about? Is the science on
> Aids so fragile that it cannot be questioned? Is nobody going to offer
> an explanation as to why the projections of Aids infection so
> spectacularly deviated from the actual patterns? Or is that just
> something that you are not supposed to talk about?

This is getting tiresome. *Which* deviations? AIDS is indeed a terrible problem in sub-Saharan Africa and many other parts of the 3rd World. The scientific evidence is simply massive: epidemiological studies, longitudinal studies, plus excellent fieldwork by largely unknown, uncelebrated medical personnel in the 3rd world. If you inject primates with HIV, you get an immune response and eventually full-blown AIDS; same with gene-modified mice. The antiviral drugs *do* preserve people's lives. There is a ton of web-info on this. The question is, how do we step up prevention and get treatment to the people who need them, given this brutish, savage system we live in, which doesn't give a damn about human life.

-- Dennis