On the important French Fry Question

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 24 13:36:25 PST 2001

> Right, most of those things are probably in strawberries too,
> hence the strawberry smell.

probably they are in strawberries too, but the process that makes a milkshake taste like strawberry is not the same as the one that makes a strawberry taste like a strawberry. since we are not talking about strawberry milkshake here but of strawberry tasting milkshake. just like processing all the stuff that makes our lifes a little more confortable, there is something that goes with the chemical processing that we don't get in a 'human sized' strawberry field, namely all the chemical waste that is poured in the air/rivers etc. i suppose refusing to get a strawberry taste milkshake at McD will not stop the globalized polution process, but simplifying the issue to a "it's the same organic chemicals anyway" fails to equate McD to global shit, which I think is the problem.

> > It occurs to me to wonder why we're surprised the cancer
> > rates are so high.
>
> Yeah, we live long enough to get cancer now. Cancer is an older
> person's disease with incidence very low in children (e.g. there
> are only about 1500 cases of lymphoma in children per year in
> the entire US), and building steadily the older one gets.

??? i've had enough people around me die of cancer in their 40's to question your simplification. what about the evolution of the nb of kids who died of cancer over the last half century ? evolution for other age classes ? As Joanna said in a reply to Doug (?) <i don't have the quote but it sounded like:> we have yet to see the influence of fifty years or mass industrialization on public health.

jc helary