AIDS: Africa, Polio Vaccine, Kaposi Sarcoma

matt hogan matt.hogan at lycos.com
Thu Jan 25 09:35:59 PST 2001

REgarding AIDS and Africa: It is a well known fact that when men leave their farms(and families) to look for work in the cities, they patronize the prostitutes there. To blunt the onward march of AIDS in Africa, we can supply condoms, education about transmission, and clean needles--but, I'm afraid, that's it.

AIDS AND POLIO: It is my understanding that the polio vaccine may have played a role in the transmission of HIV. Unfortunately, the records that could've answered this question have conveniently disappeared.

The anti-HIV crowd do raise one good point: Kaposi Sarcoma IS NOT an indication of infection with HIV.

Chimps: It is my understanding that chimpanzees CANNOT be infected with HIV--That is, they do not get sick.

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html