dumb motherfucker, an explanation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 25 12:33:39 PST 2001

[via nettime - doesn't seem to work with Yahoo! anymore]

<http://www.hugedisk.com/story.asp?ar_id=57>

You ain't huge. You ain't nothin'!

© 2000 HugeDisk Enterprises. All rights reserved.

HugeDisk Helps Confirm G.W. Bush's Reputation

The on-line reputation of a celebrity -- from a television star to a

high-stakes politician -- can have a dramatic effect on that person's

career. Hate and worship sites, a slanted news media, or on-line

chat-style commentary can all have either a positive or negative

influence. Because an on-line reputation is something that's created

through the mass consciousness of the Internet, it can often be

difficult to judge exactly what a celebrity's on-line reputation may

be. Every once in a while, however, something magical happens that

makes it possible for a reputation to be validated through the simple

click of a button.

Press Generated By This Story

Wired Magazine[1]

The Register (UK)[2]

[1] http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,41401,00.html

[2] http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16334.html

We at HugeDisk Men's Magazine are proud to report that, although

entirely unwittingly, we have done our part to cement Texas Governor

George W. Bush's on-line reputation as that of a "dumb motherfucker".

How did we contribute to so dubious an achievement? It was easy! On

the first installment of our Ask Hester HugeDisk column we innocently

ran a link from the words "dumb motherfucker" to George W. Bush's

on-line campaign store. The search engines noticed that we, along with

a few other websites, endorsed George as a "dumb motherfucker" and

adjusted George's search engine rankings accordingly.

Follow the directions below to see proof that George W. Bush is the

Internet's premier dumb motherfucker.

1. Click here[3] to open the Yahoo! search engine in a separate window.

2. Type the words "dumb motherfucker" into Yahoo!'s search term box.

3. Click Search, or press Enter.

[3] http://www.yahoo.com/

Who owns the first site listed there? The Internet's most popular dumb

motherfucker, that's who. Thank you America!

# distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission # <nettime> is a moderated mailing list for net criticism, # collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets # more info: majordomo at bbs.thing.net and "info nettime-l" in the msg body # archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at bbs.thing.net