Kosova Redux

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Jan 25 17:07:55 PST 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:
> >If you believe in the goodness of the State

Chris Burford:
> I had just referred to the undoubted abuses of state power. Who is talking
> about the "goodness of the state"?

Somebody dismissed anarchism, and was writing in praise of imperialism, a State activity. Therefore someone must see some good in the State, no?

> Or are you opposed to state power in principle, and are an anarchist? Many
> leftists are.

I guess you could say that.

> > as Chairman
> >Mao said, "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
>
> That is not anarchism.
>
> Where is your political criticism coming from??

I make it up as I go along. I gave the closely-related views of Lyndon Johnson and Chairman Mao as the other side of the argument -- the rightist side, in my opinion. State power is essentially a gun held at someone's head. Some people think you can do something constructive with relations like that, but I'm not among them.