AIDS: Africa, Polio Vaccine, Kaposi Sarcoma

Christopher B. Hajib-Niles cniles at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 26 03:42:29 PST 2001

> Apparently, Kaposi (an opportunistic infection) was quite prevalent in
> AIDS patients in the 1980s (60% or so), but has since declined
> significantly, to 20% or less:

So the question is, why did it decline and why did it never show up in more than 60% of the affected population? And I might add: why did it never show with gay "white" men?
> http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/akb/current/05derm/index.html
>
> > Chimps: It is my understanding that chimpanzees CANNOT be infected
> > with HIV--That is, they do not get sick.
>
> They can be infected, but they don't seem to die of the disease unless
> their immune systems collapse, mostly because their immune systems work
> differently from ours.

Isn't this just a little pat? How is it that decades of research show that the way they fight off viruses is not exactly the same but quite similiar to ours but then when it comes to HIV, their systems are suddenly very different from ours. I would like to know exactly what it is that makes it easy for them to fight off the so-called HIV virus. Good luck finding that information...

Chimps and macaque monkeys are, however,
> susceptible to SIVs (simian immunodeficiency viruses) which are quite
> similar to HIV (they both go after CD4 lyphocytes, e.g.). The latest on
> animal models:

There is no where near a consensus about this. Zoologist have been dukin' it out over this one for some time now.

> http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/akb/current/03vacc/index.html
>
> (And, no, I don't know a damn thing about immunology, I just asked my
> bro who studies immunology at Scripps for the low-down).

Thank you for the web references.

Chris