Defending Bullshit

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Fri Jan 26 16:17:45 PST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> "Liar" is a word that should be reserved for people who consciously
> or semiconsciously say something they know not to be true. Chris
> isn't doing that. He's making an argument that you, I, and almost all
> scientists believe to be false, but I think he really believes what
> he's saying.

I've met the people, and some of them are friends, who have done the x-ray crystal structure of HIV. Anybody who claims it has not been isolated is either willfully deluded or a liar -- you choose which explanation you prefer.

I have spent the last two 1/2 years educating myself and being actively involved in the fight to cure my partner of lymphoma. In this time, I've run into quite a few quacks that spew perverted and uninformed crap about cancer like Chris Niles does about AIDS. I am thoroughly and completely out of patience with this kind of anti-intellectual, willful and dangerous ignorance. I have about as much patience with it as I do with any other kind of religion -- NONE.

The vitamin C thing, in particular, really chaps my ass, because in the case of lymphoma, it actually INCREASES tumor load. The shit just loves to eat vitamin C (that old harmless 'natural' substance).

Yes, I have very personal and strong feelings about quackery, and for the sake of the list, I will have nothing more to say about it. Let the asshole spew is dangerous ignorance, I'll be quiet and ignore.

My apologies,

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com