U.S. & Japan: 'eerie similarities'

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 27 11:43:10 PST 2001

> I think they mean that optimists aren't as concerned about spiraling
> debt if the money is used to purchase assets (as opposed to spending
> it on crack I suppose).

But wouldn't the relevant point be whether the assets produced income? In which case, crack could be a good investment . . . ;)

A question about the Japanese/US comparisons. I've always had the impression that Japan's bubble would not have been nearly so severe were it not for their illiquid real estate market underpinning the whole thing. Because of the tax disincentives to sell, the valuations of real estate were always complete fiction--banks and individuals borrowed against real estate investments that were hard to unload at any price, and that made the cash crunch when Mieno raised interest rates even worse. Is there any validity to this notion?

Christian