Harrington's stats and Chip

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Jan 29 06:56:06 PST 2001

At 09:31 AM 1/29/01 -0500, LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:
>I can only assume that the "someone" offered no references for this claim.
>
>I knew and worked with Michael Harrington for a number of years, and have
>read most of his works and most of the secondary and biographical literature
>on him. Maurice Isserman just published an excellent biography. In no context
>did I ever even see such a claim made.
>
>It sounds like a classic right wing argument by rumor -- poverty in America
>is a myth, and Harrington made it up.

thanks. haven't been able to find anything either. i'm guessing the person who said it is mistaken and that they are thinking of someone else? but i can't think of anyone who cooked the stats and admitted it later, altho i have a nagging thought that there is such a story and i've just forgotten.

chip! what the hell is it with the rightwing rumor mill?! i find it hard to demonize the right, but i keep reading rumor after rumor after rumor and all unsubstantiated. and i just don't see much of the same from the other side? or am i just blind to it.