former Teamster "boss" Carey indicted

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Mon Jan 29 10:38:04 PST 2001

> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:40:50 -0500
> From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky)
>
> >Are these guys next-having now lost what Finch called their "get out of
> >jail free" card?
>
> By chance, I just talked to Fitch an hour ago, and he used exactly
> that phrase, predicting that there's a good chance that Trumka's
> next. He says the main reason the unions gave the Dems $45m in this
> election cycle was to assure the validity of their GOOJF card. Doug
>

> I agree that Trumka's in trouble, but the idea
> that the AFL's effort was predicated on his legal
> situation is silly. Labor was committed to the
> Dems, pure and simple.
>
> mbs

Fitch claims, I believe, that Trumka is only one of several the justice department has the goods on.

To dismiss as "silly" the notion that corruption at the upper echelons of labor-in this case making deals to escape prosecution- has nothing to do with its policy decisions strikes me as naive.

Which is not to say that in this particular instance you are wrong.

Let's see how many of them end up in the slammer. If its a whole bunch of them, then the hypothesis might have some merit, it seems to me.

Does Fitch have more info on this?

John