specular inversions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 29 13:08:28 PST 2001

"...Third Worldist perspectives, which may earlier have had a limited utility, were now [by the 1970s] completely useless. We understand Third Worldism to be defined by the notion that the primary contradiction and antagonism of the international capitalist system is between the capital of the First World and the labor of the Third. The potential for revolution thus resides squarely and exclusively in the Third World. This view has been evoked implicitly and explicitly in a variety of dependency theories, theories of underdevelopment, and world system perspectives. The limited merit of the Third Worldist perspective was that it directly countered the 'First Worldist' or Eurocentric view that innovation and change have always originated, and can only originate, in Euro-America. Its specular opposition of this false claim, however, leads only to a position that is equally false. We find this Third Worldist perspective inadequate because it ignores the innovations and antagonisms of labor in the First and Second Worlds. Furthermore, and most important for our argument here, the Third Worldist perspective is blind to the real convergence of struggles across the world, in the dominant and subordinate countries alike."

-- Hardt & Negri, Empire, p. 264