former Teamster "boss" Carey indicted

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 30 08:45:40 PST 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

That's a pretty big difference, isn't it? If U.S. unions would violate laws against secondary boycotts or plant sit-ins that'd be one thing. The kind of stuff Carey & Co. did isn't gangsterism, but it still smells bad.

As you say:

>I've talked over the years to a number of insiders to the reform movement,
>both grassroots leaders and insiders at the marble palace and what was clear
>was that Carey in the end did fear dependance on the rank-and-file movements
>and preferred these freelance consultants and imported staff from places
>like the United Mine Workers.

And the result was disastrous, no? Criminal indictments and the ascenscion of Baby Hoffa.

>I still find the language used by Doug or
>others comparing it to actual mobster unionists or to Milken to be
>disgusting, reactionary rhetoric.

Uh, just a second. I never said Carey was a mobster. He's not of the same breed as Coia and Bevona, but he does reflect some similar structural problems of U.S. unions.

> We are about to see a full-out assault by
>the GOP Presidency on the labor movement and you are sitting there giving
>rhetorical support to that assault.

Oh come now. Does this mean that criticisms of U.S. unions are now forbidden because we're at war?

I'm waiting to see how labor fights this assault. I'm betting it'll be with ads, campaign checks, and lobbyists and not with any kind of popular mobilization. I'd love to be proved wrong.

>Remind me not to share a foxhole with you.

Be sure not to share a foxhole with me.

Doug