Margaret Sanger on "the Negro"

Tue Jan 30 08:24:32 PST 2001

Old time, left conservatism.

CB

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 01/29/01 05:36PM >>>
[quoted by Sam Smith in the Progressive Review]

MARGARET SANGER IN A LETTER TO DR. CLARENCE GAMBLE, Dec 19, 1939: We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal. We don't want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members.