media/labor

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Tue Jan 30 13:16:16 PST 2001

> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:05:18 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: media/labor
>

> Ever read any union publications? God, do they suck. A conservative
> undemocratic culture produces deadly awful journalism. They should
> just give lots of money to good journalists and editors, hands off!

You mean, "leave it to the private sector?" Sometimes I wonder how far you've gotten from the Party of the Right.

In any case, union publications suck not by virtue of being union publications but because they reflect the bland (possibly bought-off) conformity of the leadership.

The exception seems to be the AFL's sponsorship of Hightower, though I don't know how much help they have been recently. (According to his website, his talk show is now off the air.) In any case, this is the kind of thing they should be doing more of, but probably won't.

John