media/labor

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jan 30 14:49:30 PST 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:
>The UAW monthly
>magazine is actually not too bad

-Really? You mean Solidarity? Aside from the financial statements, -with their mysterious $1 billion in assets, I find it mainly a -snooze. Maybe I'm spoiled by Vanity Fair.

And neither LBO nor Vanity Fair is particularly aimed at the average UAW member.

SOLIDARITY has good graphic design, decent and clear writing on the topics covered, and a generally progressive political bent. When it covered the whole China trade deal and the UAW's opposition, it went out of its way to talk about the need for increased US aid to the global poor and real economic development as an alternative to these elite-oriented trade deals.

Maybe it could use a bit more tabloid energy and that may be where a bit of the blandness comes in, but it is trying to appeal to a pretty broad audience that have a large number of folks who are often (if surveys are credible) not readers of any other magazine. So I like that with pretty basic clear language, it does try to approach some of the political issues with a relatively broad progressive explanation.

-- Nathan Newman