delinking does not equal autarchy

Wed Jan 31 12:23:50 PST 2001

Patrick Bond wrote:

>Doug, if you oppose this strategic thinking, what's your plan?

I'm about to head off to Germany for the Zizek Lenin conference, and I'm trying to finish up a bunch of stuff before I leave, so I can only do this in a hurry, but there are lots of very promising new movements and styles of doing politics - Seattle, the World Bank bond boycott, the newish campus activism in the U.S. (which involves lots of links with labor), Porto Alegre - stuff that has the bourgeoisie a bit beside itself (e.g., the latest Davos installment). Over the last few days, U.S. student activists have Nike tied up in knots by having linked up with workers at a S Korean contractor in Mexico. The contractor fired some workers who were trying to organize an independent union; students were quickly on the scene, and now Nike's trying to repair the damage. This is all new stuff - an embryonic global anti-state - and I don't know where it's going. But it's promising as hell, don't you think?

CB: I'd say the style in Venezuela, which includes taking the state power of a nation-state, is very much as promising as all you list above, perhaps even more so.