DJ Freddy J Spins the Phat Trax

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Jul 2 20:50:16 PDT 2001

G'day Brad,

>You do realize that I understand barely a word of the above? I mean,
>I don't understand in what sense "postmodernism is the cultural logic
>of multinational capitalism." And I also do not understand how
>"globalization"--which started in a serious way with the steamship
>and the telegraph--is merely one face of "postmodernity." And
>thereafter my confusion deepens...

A nice bloke called Fred reckonms we're all economists now, that that's how we relate to each other, and that we don't so much produce our culture in living our lives, where and when we are, but consciously make it up with an eye to flogging it to someone. He then said something about talking about language in the moment it is spoken and language as something that's always changing. He speculated that you can't fit the whole concept, and nothing but the concept, into a word or words. He thinks there might be an uncomfortable tension between the way we produce things these days and the unprecedented sway of the shareholder. He went from there to the idea that another tension might pertain between natural time, human needs, and what we let market-led digitisation do to our conception and experience of time. He thinks he's cleverer than the posties.

And he's right, too.

Cheers, Rob.