DJ Freddy J Spins the Phat Trax

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Jul 2 23:07:27 PDT 2001

>And this is different from Virgil composing the Aeneid for Augustus
>or Irish bards singing about the noble deeds of the mythical
>ancestors of their hosts or monks making up stories of the saint
>whose bone is in the wall to encourage donations... how, exactly?

I dare say the point is that these cultural practices and artefacts were produced/reproduced for reasons, and out of conditions, not confined to sale. That is, they meant something other than bugger-all. For instance, if memory serves, DJ Freddy J raps about spectacle versus meaning quite a bit. Dennis'll put us right when he wakes up, no doubt.

Cheers, Rob.