DJ Freddy J Spins the Phat Trax

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 3 09:30:18 PDT 2001

Ted Winslow wrote:

> Dennis Redmond wrote:
>
> > He then tied this back to Sartre, and the existential
> > experience of time -- a profound moment of self-critique, really, because
> > this is where he started his career as a dialectician.

This is a misunderstanding of self-critique, which to constitute self-critique would have to apply to events, actions, and perspectives _at the present_. E.g., any comment I might make on my activities/thoughts/etc before I became active politically would be a critique of someone else, not a self-critique. To say (or for Jameson to say) that Jameson since 1965 has changed his views is banal.

Carrol