Designated spokespeople for the speechless subalterns (was: RE: F W: WHICH ROAD TO QATAR: FOOD FIRST OR EXPORT FIRST?)

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca
Tue Jul 3 13:05:20 PDT 2001

Doug said:

>Well let's ask them. I know U.S. farmers certainly like exporting
>their crops. What about Indian farmers? Have we heard from them, or
>is V. Shiva the designated spokesperson for them in their speechless
>subalternity?

Um, Doug, by demanding to hear the thoughts of each and every "speechless subaltern" when it comes to someone doing anything, of any political persuasion, in their name, you might as well drop any pretense to any action at all; you'll lose the forest by caring for trees. Marx, I do believe, spoke for plenty of "speechless subalterns".

Todd