Industrial agriculture

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 1 11:15:57 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Jones <jones118 at lineone.net> To: Lbo-Talk at Lists. Panix. Com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 12:07 PM Subject: Industrial agriculture

Comments after sections

> >>Industrial agriculture uses larger farms and fewer farmers. In 1959, the
> United States had almost six million farms averaging 300 acres apiece. In
> 1992, there were two million farms averaging 500 acres. In 1996, fewer
than
> two percent of Americans still live on farms, and the number is more like
> one percent, if small, part-time farm operations are left out. This is no
> accident. One hundred and fifty years of US policy on the structure of
> agriculture can be summed up in the admonition to farmers made famous by
> former Secretary of Agriculture Earl Butz, "Get big or get out." <<

COMMENT: Population has been increasing as well from 1959 to 1992 so that the labor of fewer people produces even more food on the same land base. As noted in the next paragraph industrial agriculture has led food production to outstrip population growth, not an insignificant benefit. In fact this is a problem under capitalism since commodity prices drop. The starving have no effective demand without cash. Hence farmers are paid to take land out of production while people starve. The problem is not industrial production but capitalist industrial production that makes consumption dependent upon cash rather than need.

What is the relative ratio of conveniences etc. that the remaining farmers have compared to their counterparts in 1959.. Air conditioned cabs with finger tip controls, computers to keep track of accounts and to learn prices etc. get information, modern houses with all the conveniences of any city dweller. If the remaining two percent had some control over their inputs and the price of their final product they would be better off than most in the city, certainly than most workers.

> WHAT IS INDUSTRIAL AGRICULTURE?
>
> > The benefits of this industrial approach are well known: Food production
> has increased fast enough to far outstrip population growth. In addition,
> the United States has benefited commercially from its exports abroad. But
> the social and environmental costs of this approach are considerable. And
> it is not the only method of agriculture. A sustainable approach, based on
> understanding agriculture as an ecosystem, promises sufficient produce
> without sacrificing the environment, the farmer, or the rural communities
> that support small and medium-sized farms. For sustainable agriculture to
> thrive, the policies that foster industrial agriculture will need to be
> refocused to foster the transition.

COMMENT: It would be interesting to have statistics on part-time and hobby farms. I do not quite understand why sustainable agriculture depends upon size. Why is there a compelling reason that larger farms should be unsustainable. It seems to be the concern to maximise return per acre without concern for negative externalities that is the problem. No doubt many small commercial market gardens are run on the same principles and are just as damaging to the environment over the long run. Again the problem is agriculture organised on capitalist principles.

> FEATURES OF INDUSTRIAL AGRICULTURE

> MONOCULTURE
>
> Monoculture is the cultivation of one crop at a time in a field. The
United
> [...]
> services like cafes, equipment manufacturers, gasoline stations and car
> dealerships. Currently, the Great Plains states are facing rapidly
> declining populations as a result of changes in agriculture.
>
> Another effect of industrial agriculture has been to create a new class of
> farmers highly dependent on large corporations. One of the best examples
is
> poultry farming. No longer are most chickens grown by independent farmers
> who choose which kinds of chickens to grow and sell them wherever they
can.
> Now chicken farmers contract with corporations who supply the eggs and
> specify the conditions under which they are grown. As corporations grow in
> size and market power, individual farmers are in ever weaker positions
when
> it comes time to negotiate the price to be paid for growing chickens or to
> decide who will bear the cost of disposing of the mountains of chicken
> waste.
>
> Overall, the share of the food profits going to farmers rather than to the
> agricultural input and food-processing and marketing sectors has been
> steadily declining. For many farmers with small and medium-sized farms it
> means that they will be unable to stay in business if they only produce
> food. To participate in the more profitable part of the food system, many
> farmers are expanding into processing and retailing food, either singly or
> in cooperatives.
>
> The fact that food processors and fertilizer and pesticide suppliers are
> increasing their share of food profits, of course, has an economic upside
> for those who hold shares or jobs in chemical or retailing companies. But
> the loss of farmers means more than simply shifting jobs to other sectors.
> Farming has in the past been representative of the American ethos. Farmers
> and their families were seen as testaments to the virtues of independence,
> hard work, and community that Americans have considered vital to civic
> democracy. In addition, farmers have been the basis of rural economy and
> communities. Finally, millions of independent farmers meant a
decentralized
> food supply beyond the control of narrow interests. The social and
economic
> ramifications of the drastic decline in farm populations is just beginning
> to be felt.
>
> Perhaps the reduction of the number of farmers has gone too far. There
> seems little advantage in further reductions. The goals of the last
century
> have been met. It might be time to set a reverse course and adopt policies
> that would stabilize the farming population at 1 or 2 percent of the total
> population.
>
> SOURCES
>
> Economic Research Service, Pesticide and Fertilizer Use and Trends in US
> Agriculture. United States Department of Agriculture. Agricultural
Economic