"Race" or "ethnicity"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jul 2 11:02:31 PDT 2001

At 12:51 PM 7/2/01 -0400, Gordon wrote:
>It doesn't matter, does it? The point is that Black people
>have appropriated race for their own purposes. "Black",
>"Queer", "female", all began as terms of class oppression,
>and that is still an element of them, but they have escaped
>from the control of their inventors and assumed new shapes
>and acquired new purposes. While you may see the concept of
>race as but an ex-post facto rationalization of existing
>inequalities that fits the individualistic ideology, many,
>maybe most African-Americans see it as a concept, a context
>which preserves and frames their common African origins and
>culture, survival of slavery, and invention of a new, vital
>and valuable culture in America. Though White men are free
>to continue their habitual fighting about the hitherto-
>deprecated categories, I don't think the categorizations
>belong to them any more.

A few questions:

1. What does "ownership" or control" of a concept concept mean? Language is a perfect example of a public or collective good, i.e. meaning of concept must be shared by members of a group or the concept is incomprhensible gibberish. Hence the metephor "ownership of a concept" seems quite meaningless, outsied the patent law that gives the right to exclusive use of certain concepta or image for commercial purposes.

2. What is "common African origins"? I thought that inhabitants of the African (sub-Saharan to ve more precise) identifies themselves by their ethnic and tribal identities, rather than as "Africans." Those ethnic and tribal differences were ignored by outsiders who saw them simply as "Blacks" or "Africans" - but that is a very prejudiced view, no? Europeans tend to be seen as separate ethnic identities, e.g. Italians, Germans, Poles, Jews, Irish etc. - why can't we see Africans as separate ethnic identities instead of identities given to them by outsiders?

3. What is "habitual fighting about categories" in which White mean are supposed to engage? What categories? Which Wgite mean? How is that fighting conducted?

4. I always thought that language is a refelction of reality, not the other way around. Thus, changing the language (or its emotive connotations) does not change the reality itself (the explaining vs. changing the world thing). Are you trying to tell me that it aint so, and when Blacks, Poles, Jews, Italians, Germans, or inhabitants of mobile home parks start using words like "n-word," "polack", "kike", "wop," "kraut" or "trailer trash" - their position in society mysteriously changes?

wojtek