Reply to Ted and Brad

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 3 21:21:54 PDT 2001

Do economists talk about the hierarchy of needs? Unless u can somehow measure utility how can u make the claim that satisfaction of needs "higher" in the hierarchy increase utility? But I understood that the standard view is that utility is not measurable.

Surely Bentham was closer to the truth...a dollar spent to feed a starving person produces greater utility than if spent by some overstuffed Epicure....apologies to Epicurus of course...

Cheers Ken Hanly

Brad claims: