Defining Capitalism

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Tue Jul 3 22:11:55 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:
> [...]

Not odd perhaps that it should seem to Nathan from a course in law school that changes in the law were causal. But they weren't. I was there, arguing before Chancellor Brown in the early 80s in Wilmington (and against him in the later 80s after he went back to private practice). Management prerogs formally were not cut back one bit in Delaware (see fiduciary duty/greenmail law for example). But Milken, Black and the other Drexel Burnham boys didn't worry about the law; that's what Skadden was for. The "highly confident" letters, the super-leveraged risk arbs, the hostile tenders, took off quite without any significant changes in the law. The real change that turned on a legal action was that which followed on the indictment of Boesky in the fall of '86. I was litigating the Viacom takeover at the time; the week after the Boesky indictment Icahn joked that he no longer felt "highly confident." Greenmail disappeared, and the Drexel freebooters gave way to the Morgan Stanley etc "friendly" takeovers. Sectors where hostile takeovers happened in the early 80s included many where management had reached mutually comfy deals with unions (airlines, containers, paper&wood, food processing). This was an aspect of the end of the social-democratic/welfare compromise. But all was part of the reassertion of the primary role of the investment bankers (or finance capital if you prefer). The lawyers (and judges) played the roles assigned, and were well compensated for the performance, but were as fleas on the Body of our Lord.

john mage