Happy Panopticon Day

Peter van Heusden pvh at egenetics.com
Wed Jul 4 00:57:50 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:16:36PM -0700, Ian Murray wrote:
> [NYT]
> July 4, 2001
> Tampa Scans the Faces in Its Crowds for Criminals
> By DANA CANEDY
>
> TAMPA, Fla., July 3 - Camera shy? Then steer clear of Tampa's
> nightlife district.
>
> The Tampa Police Department has placed three dozen security cameras
> with face-recognition software in a downtown district popular with
> locals and tourists. Now, everyone who visits the district, Ybor City,
> for a burger or a beer runs the risk of having his face digitally
> scanned and the noses, cheeks and chins checked against a mug-shot
> database of murderers, drug dealers and other criminal suspects with
> arrest warrants.

Forwarding the previous similar message to one of our work mailing lists resulted in the suggestion that we should now is the time to invest in the novelty mask industry.

Peter -- Peter van Heusden <pvh at egenetics.com> NOTE: I do not speak for my employer, Electric Genetics "Criticism has torn up the imaginary flowers from the chain not so that man shall wear the unadorned, bleak chain but so that he will shake off the chain and pluck the living flower." - Karl Marx, 1844 k*256^2+2083 OpenPGP: 1024D/0517502B : DE5B 6EAA 28AC 57F7 58EF 9295 6A26 6A92 0517 502B