NYC Baffler benefit

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jul 4 02:54:15 PDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Alec Ramsdell wrote:

> And Debord points forward to the hippie/rock revolt cum capitalist
> enterprise in 1967's _The Society of the Spectacle_, thesis 59:

And the whole rest of the book. I forgot about that. It played a huge role in popularizing this idea that capitalism now absorbed most rebellions and developed antibodies. Especially among artists and students. And ironically, it was also the main source of the idea that transgressive gestures (of which "detournment" was the prototype) could have a real political effects. In Debord's situationist logic, the fact that the Spectacle was so total, and warped all organized efforts at opposition into support for itself, was supposed somehow at the same time to make isolated gestures of subversion that much more capable of reverberating throughout the entire system.

Michael