Reply to Ted and Brad

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Jul 3 22:35:59 PDT 2001

>Do economists talk about the hierarchy of needs? Unless u can somehow
>measure utility how can u make the claim that satisfaction of needs "higher"
>in the hierarchy increase utility?

Well, if the "lower" needs weren't satisfied, you'd be devoting more money to satisfying them, no?

> But I understood that the standard view
>is that utility is not measurable.

I'm willing to assert that watching your children starve is more painful to you than eating grilled Hoffman Farm chicken breast with pancetta, garlicky chard, and sweet corn polenta is pleasurable to me...

--

____________________ J. Bradford DeLong Department of Economics U.C. Berkeley, #3880 Berkeley, CA 94720-3880 (510) 643-4027 delong at econ.berkeley.edu http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/