Ivins on FDR on defining fascism

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Jul 4 07:36:58 PDT 2001

Chip better hunt down Molly Ivins, since she's distributing this definition of fascism in her July 4th column.

"Our democracy is, as ever, in a parlous state. Our politics are corrupted by legalized bribery, and the gap between the rich and everybody else keeps getting worse. FDR once said: "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That, in its essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power."

Looks like Charles and I are not the only ones influenced by the Comintern class definition of fascism. FDR appears to have suffered the same malady, but then he didn't have the advantages of social science hindsight :)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org