Reply to Ted and Brad

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 4 22:43:40 PDT 2001

Why need this be ironic? If Jameson means that the economic approach is valuable for understanding human behavior under capitalism? Relationships become based upon pure self interest and everything is commodified. Isnt this akin to Marx's view? But this is also roughly Becker's approach to interpreting marriage THis is not to deny the essential differences that Ted points out-- quite lucidly I may add. Becker's model may be a helpful one but it fails to reveal the distortion of human relationships involved and thus to provide any critique of capitalism.

Surely neo-liberals and radicals do not share the same world view. If both shared the same world view why would one group laud the total system and the other denounce it. Surely it is because they see basic differences in it. Radicals think that there are all sorts of oppression of workers, women, gays, aboriginals etc. Do neo-liberals share this world view. Neo-liberals see consumers as autonomous and contractual relations as free under capitalism; radicals see it as the opposite. THese are the same world view? How.??

What is the significance of Adorno saying that truth is the mediation of extremes, seems someone else said that with respect to virtue a bit earlier..What is important is his argument for this. Or is some sort of argument to authority?

Cheers, Ken Hanly ----

- Original Message ----- From: Dennis Robert Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2001 11:22 PM Subject: Re: Reply to Ted and Brad