Reply to Ted and Brad

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Thu Jul 5 12:36:11 PDT 2001

> Can I momentarily escape from utilitarian into deontological ethics,
> and say that because taking pleasure in the (relative) pain of others
> is cruel and immoral, we won't count that source of pleasure as a
> plus in our utilitarian calculations

I'm not quite sure I understand this. Surely we can't ignore something as important as this? Pride in high social status is a major force shaping all human societies, yes? And part of that pride, most of it even, is knowing that others can't have as much as you? If we disregard certain behaviors because they are unethical then we'll be missing out on much of what shapes society, won't we? You could easily argue that a society whose slogan is "Greed is good" is a wholly immoral society, and nothing about it can be studied without studying unethical behavior? Or when you say "we won't count that" are you referring only to those of us here on the LBO list?