Christian love

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Jul 6 07:02:36 PDT 2001

Chip Berlet wrote:

> You can use the same analytical model to look at
> almost every longstanding institution in Western culture.
> You use it primarily to trash Christianity. Thus your
> bigotry is in your choice of focus.

You suggested before:

> Try changing the word
> Christian to the word Communist or the phrase "NFL viewing."

I agree that would make sense and the mode of analysis is similarly useful. However, Christianity is present, here and now in the society we deal with. So the focus arises out of the current circumstances.

Also, my purpose wasn't to "trash Christianity." I mentioned it's positive qualities as we on the left tend to see them. To quote myself once again:

> > > manifestations. We on the left tend
> > > political action we

Another point where we are in agreement:

> We all have sado-masochistic tendencies. So do
> many institutions.

True enough, but sado-masochism is historical and functions in various ways. Hence the usefulness of a way of understanding mass cultural phenomena that looks under the surface of events.

> Incidently, I didn't know the Berrigan brothers (Daniel &
> Philip) ever wrote a book together; what was the title of
> the book you read?

I was slightly in error. It was by one of them and was called, if I recall from many years back, THE PRICE OF MY SOUL. I haven't read the Gomes book you suggested, but did read an article about him in, I believe, the NEW YORK TIMES SUNDAY MAGAZINE. Seems a nice fellow.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema