Christian love

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 6 07:52:47 PDT 2001

At 11:00 PM 7/5/01 -0400, Kevin quoted:
>July 5, 2001
>

>Christian School Questioned Over Discipline for Wayward
>
>By RICK BRAGG
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/05/national/05SCHO.html
>

>Tom Gannam for The New York Times
>The Heartland Christian Academy near Newark, Mo., uses old-time religion and
>and old-fashioned discipline. Five staff members have been charged with
>child abuse after students were punished in manure pits.

Christian ideology aside, what is wrong with having children work (including "dirty" work) and punishing them for slacking and disrespect. Does anyone here think that the US liberal alternative of forcing children to be idle consumers of fashin and entertainment, sucking up resources they did not earn and feeling "entitled" to them (on the pain of accusing their parents of child "abuse"), and being shown, time and again that they have rights but not responsibilities is a desired alternative?

I say, schooling should be mandatory from the age of 5, work (when not in school) from the age of 10.

wojtek