whites deny racism; others disagree

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 6 08:51:47 PDT 2001

At 10:36 AM 7/6/01 -0400, Doug quoted:

>GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

>A review of the June 11-18 survey's results underscores first and
>foremost that a significant perceptual gap continues between the way
>whites view the situation for blacks in American society today and
>the way blacks themselves view it.
>
>Six of 10 blacks are dissatisfied with the way people of their own
>race are treated by society, including 32% who are very dissatisfied
>and another 28% who are somewhat dissatisfied. Only 39% of blacks
>nationwide are satisfied, including just 8% who are very satisfied.
>
>Contrast this with the views of white Americans. Almost two-thirds of
>whites -- 64% -- say they are personally satisfied with the way
>blacks are treated in society, while only 34% are dissatisfied.

Wrong reference. They should have asked, say, how many whites feel "reversely discriminated" and compare it to the opinions of blacks on "reverse discrimination." I suspect that they would find a similar gap, but in reverse.

I strongly suspect that concepts like "racism" or "reverse discrimination" are ex post facto rationalizations used by people to explain away negative personal experiences. If one says "I did not get a job, because my qualifications were not good enough, or because I did not know anyone in the management" - that is an admission of some personal deficiency that would require some work to overcome. If, otoh, onse says "I did not get a job, because I am black, or because they had to hire a black guy under the affirmative action program" - that is blaming someone else which allows one to feel good about oneself.

wojtek