discipline and punish (was: Christian love)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 6 09:23:44 PDT 2001

At 11:29 AM 7/6/01 -0400, David wrote:
>Get that man a spot on the Maury Povich show! By all means, let's bust
>some kiddie heads. Let's have a big black drill sergeant yell in their
>faces when they give us 'tude. While that's being done, destroy the
>programs which enabled a previous generation of children to go to
>college.

I hate when people see the world in black-and-white colors. There are a lot of shades of grey in between a suburban mall filled with teenage parasites sponging off parental income and blowing it on overpriced Nike sneakers and Gap t-shirts - and a full-metal-jacket style boot camp staffed by sadistic drill sergeants.

Chid work does not have to equal sweatshops (adults work in sweatshops as well) or burger flipping - it can be a valuable experience in self-determination, contributing to the community, learning work skills, structuring one's life, and appreciating the value of work.

I bet that the teenage brats who today roam the mall wasteland are future managers who disparage workers and do not think twice about taking advantage of sweatshop labor overseas - after all they learned to benefit from it at Nike or Gap.

wojtek