discipline and punish (was: Christian love)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 6 10:41:52 PDT 2001

At 01:27 PM 7/6/01 -0400, David wrote:
>How do you know the brats are shopping at the Gap? I hated to shop for
>clothes when I was a teen. The brats could be hunting for Chomsky at
>the bookstore.

Then I suggest that tomorrow morning you go to your nerby mall and count the number of teenagers engaged in the following activities:

yakking on a cell phone buying clothing buying CDs eating junk food browsing silly magazines for teenagers or hanging out withe their friends engaged in these activities.

Then go to your Pathfinder store and count the number of teeneagers there. If there is none in your state, go to Borders and count the number of teenagers who stop in front of the social science or philosophy section - or if none stops, count the number of teens in the whole bookstore. Then report your observations back to us.

PS. Teenage identity is one of the most obnoxious creations of the advertisement/entertainment industry - almost as obnoxious as christianity.

It is a nauseating blend of silliness, skin-deep shallowness, hyper-conventionalism, conformism, consumerism, anti-intellectualism and intolerance of any deviations form the norm.

wojtek