(no subject)

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Fri Jul 6 11:31:43 PDT 2001

af·fine (-fn)

adj. Mathematics

1.Of or relating to a transformation of coordinates that is equivalent to a linear transformation followed by a translation.

2.Of or relating to the geometry of affine transformations.

[French affin, closely related, from Old French. See affined.]

http://www.geom.umn.edu/docs/reference/CRC-formulas/node15.html

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

affine \Af*fine"\, v. t. [F. affiner to refine; ? (L. ad) + fin fine. See Fine.] To refine. [Obs.] --Holland.

I think he really means "self-affinity" (although the mathematical definition does suggest the relationship between very SIMILAR forms). So "self-affine" would translate into mental masturbation, in my book. The very prose in which the terminology is used a good example of it.

Peter Kosenko

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: LeoCasey at aol.com Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:08:55 EDT