[ASDnet] NEW DEM DAILY: A New Economy Labor Movement

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 6 18:12:31 PDT 2001

One of the guys looked up to by this group, which I knew nothing about before today, is Steve Herzenberg, who is an URPE member in Pennsylvania and a righteous dude. Runs a mini-EPI in Harrisburg and wrote a recent book on new conditions confronting the labor movement.

It would not be helpful to prejudge ideas coming out of the DLC's policy shop, the "Progressive Policy Institute," or out of the NEIS by reference to the corporate barricudas that DLC politicians patronize. Note that there are NO Dem politicians who would refuse money from any of those people, and probably none who haven't tried to get some.

I remember all the angst when Junior Hoffa won the Teamster election; the AFL was going to be taken over, the dinosaurs were coming back, etc. etc. It was all bullshit. The 'right-wing' AFL unions are often more progressive on economic issues than some of their bretheren. Also note the disparity between the liberal- identified NEA and the AFT on gay issues.

mbs

I would not jump to too many quick conclusions here. NEIS is also linked to the AFL-CIO and other international union web sites and to EPI, where Max Sawicky works. . . .