Is Australia a Civilised Country?

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Fri Jul 6 19:42:29 PDT 2001

Kevin Dean's article posted (see bottom of document) said:

> "So why is Australia, as a so-called civilised country, treating these
> people so harshly when the majority of them are genuinely fleeing
> persecution, torture and even death?

When I was a fourteen year-old runaway I was charged by the Victorian State Police with 'found wandering'. I was subsequently threatened with a physical examination to check for the loss of my virginity, verbally abused by a roomful of female 'policemen' locked in a 19th century prison cell for 6 hours until 3am then sent to jail in a divvy van with other young offenders who were charged with 'being exposed to moral danger' because their father's raped them. I won't go into the 'entry procedure' of the jail when I arrived there....

I hope that I can get the point across that Australia is by no means a 'civilised country' although there are some good people here as in any other place. If anyone has any ideas on how countries can become 'civilised' I would appreciate it.

Brenda Rosser