SDUSA, part 2

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 7 08:07:56 PDT 2001

Weren't they Sidney Hook's old outfit? I t would they seem that they didn't manage to outlive the old boy.

Jim F.

Yup! Hook was an honourary co-chair or some such. Dave McReynolds told me apropos Bayard Rustin, (dig up a Radical America piece on A. Phillip Randolph and Rustin from Manning Marable the late 70's ) another luminary in their costellation, that he said words to the effect of, "Am I still on the National Board of SDUSA?, " in a meeting with Dave and others from WRL.

Hook's papers are at the Hoover Institution, which I saw rumours of being scaled back, which seems odd. Call the Olin Foundation for moola! Ed D'Angelo, on the SPSM list had some interesting comments on Hook, when I posted a review of the Christopher Phelps book, "Sidney Hook: From Pragmatist to Marxist, " if memory serves, from Syracuse Univ. Press. My favorite title of a review of Hook, by Phillip Green, of a collection of his articles from the late 70's, in The Nation, "A Sharp Right Hook." Second fave, in the Village Voice, back in the 80's, by Paul Berman, "Sidney Hook: The Last American Marxist." !!! Michael Pugliese