Reply to Ted and Brad

Ted Winslow winslow at yorku.ca
Sat Jul 7 08:23:44 PDT 2001

I wrote:

> he [Keynes] didn't assume that behaviour was everywhere and always
> "rational" in the economist's or any other sense).

I forgot a sense allowed for by Jameson. In the passage I've been discussing with Dennis, Jameson, adopting Humpty Dumpty's approach to definition, points out that if we take "irrational" to mean "incomprehensible" so that "rational" means "comprehensible", psychoanalysis, like Becker's "economic approach", can be said to treat human behaviour as everywhere and always "rational".

Ted -- Ted Winslow E-MAIL: WINSLOW at YORKU.CA Division of Social Science VOICE: (416) 736-5054 York University FAX: (416) 736-5615 4700 Keele St. Toronto, Ontario CANADA M3J 1P3