Christian love

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Jul 7 09:44:19 PDT 2001

Alec -- Both Donne and Herbert are good examples of the usefulness of sado-masochism as an explanatory concept. It helps us recognize that masculine and feminine cultural themes run together in complex ways. Many social phenomena, including Christianity, become clearer when we learn to look at "the configuration of sado-masochism involved." Donne, as you say, sounds at times like he's "picking a fight," while, at the same time wishing penetration of his body. Herbert also conflates the gender issues.

Sado-masochism is an inherently and an intentionally ambiguous concept, as sadism and masochism are both opposed and observably linked, arising out of the developmental experience of domination and submission. Donne projects this into his experience with God, a fantasy derived from the experience with the actual father, whether personally or in the culture.

My whole point in using the concept is to emphasize the ambiguities and to establish ways of thinking them through. It is absurd to assert that calling Christian faith a conscious experience of gendered sado-masochism, is "stereotyping," "prejudice," or, in Chip's angry word, a form of "bigotry." Rather it is a way to avoid stereotypical thinking about the various quite diverse manifestations of Christianity. Without a way to make sense of Christianity's diversity one falls into seeing good guys and bad guys, and assertions that the various manifestations of Christianity just happen to have the same name and a lot of common history, but are discrete phenomena nowadays.

Also, though I am also a critic of much in Christianity as it exists, it is quite important to recognize its rôle in the historical formation of the human personality.

You suggest:

> One can also ask how psychoanalysis is implicated in
> the sado-masochistic economy, with a roughly christian
> outline.

And you ask:

> Does one hear a note of redemption and salvation in
> that higher good, above being captured and tortured by
> language?

Probably one does. One of the dilemmas of clinical practice is the issue of hierarchy, since the therapeutic situation cannot escape the hierarchies of the society, reification, etc. The rôle of "Analyst as paternal confessor," carries with it many sado-masochistic ambiguities.

More broadly, however, Norman O. Brown argued that notions of redemption and resurrection in Christianity point towards human possibilities yet to be realized, in reality, of course.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema