DJ Freddy J Spins the Phat Trax

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 7 12:52:24 PDT 2001

> Postmodernism w/o the "ism", first use I've seen among lit critters,
> Irving Howe in 1959, in Partisan Review.
> ... while even the very origin of the term "postmodern" has been shrouded
in
> veils of
> misunderstanding: The incredible Irving Howe seems to have coined it in
1959

Actually, the term was used in 1957 in Rosenberg and White's introduction to _Mass Culture_ (the grandmomma of _Cultural Studies_ anthologies.) But FJ's argument in both "Periodizing the Sixties" and the _Postmodernism_ book is that it is the cultural logic accompanying the transformational crisis of global capitalism circa 1972-3. Mike Davis long ago pointed out that this is a misreading of Mandel's _Late Capitalism_, on which such cultural logic is supposedly founded.

Christian