Moore: dot.com types = black bloc

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 7 11:16:22 PDT 2001

Excerpt from a speech by WTO boss Mike Moore <http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/spmm_e/spmm67_e.htm>:

Our owners jealously defend their rights and prerogatives. Even having these symposia is controversial and not universally supported. Let me share why. Many Ministers and Ambassadors say it is not the job of the WTO to embrace NGOs and civil society. They say that should be done at the national level in the formation of national policy positions. They are correct but only 90% correct.

Now, because I have been so polite and have given you a message of welcome, may I ask for your assistance. Nothing upsets our owners more than the mindless, undemocratic enemies of the open society who have as a stated aim the prevention of Ministers and our leaders from even meeting. Imagine the attitude of the Minister from South Africa who was imprisoned during South Africa's struggle for freedom when faced with this attitude in the streets of Seattle. Or the Swedish Minister who wanted to focus on issues of sustainable development, Aids and how to extend freedoms we take for granted across a wider Europe, yet had his leader's conference attacked.

It would strengthen the hand of those who seek change if NGOs distance themselves from masked stone-throwers who claim to want more transparency, anti-globalization dot.com-types who trot out slogans that are trite, shallow and superficial. This will not do as a substitute for civilized discourse.

Who is to blame? There is enough blame for all of us to share. Perhaps we could consider new principles of engagement. A debate should be held and understandings reached between civil society, the international institutions and Governments for a code of conduct that could include:

* The rejection of violence * Transparency from NGOs as to their membership, their finances, their rules of decision-making * Governments, business and foundations should insist on rules of transparency and adhere to an agreed code, before they provide funding.

Governments and their institutions should, in return, give those who follow such rules a stake in the process. And we need to accept that there is a fundamental difference between transparency and participation on the one hand and negotiations on the other which in the end only Governments can do.