Madonna: Third Way icon

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Jul 7 16:04:12 PDT 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> Poor Maddie! Is she worthy of such fury? What was she
> before she became what she is now, and did you love her
> then?

Fury? I thought this was my lighter side. But, yes, I did prefer her in the early days, even up to "Justify My Love." She made some very entertaining videos, "Papa Don't Preach" notwithstanding.

> Personally, I have the greatest respect for the fortitude of
> anyone who can sit through _Evita_, much less perform in it.

Antonio Banderas and Jonathan Pryce are very good in "Evita." My wife produced the laser disk special edition and spoke at length with the film's director Alan Parker. Parker talked about dealing with Madonna's ego and how she missed the point of the role. But with Madonna in the lead, the money flowed into production. Showbiz.

Patti Lupone was -- is -- considered the true Evita, having played her on Broadway. However, by the time the film was made, she was too old for the part.

DP