Christian love

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Jul 7 19:52:20 PDT 2001

Did I say that Christianity "caused" anything specific? No. I imagine that we can all agree that causality is very complex and needs careful examination in any instance. Instead, from the start of this thread I was trying to make the point that Christianity is a broad, diverse, multifarious phenomenon. Hence I introduced the correspondingly diverse concept of sado-masochism. Chip, for reasons I do not know, seemed to think I was asserting that all Christians are like what the people who run the Heartland Christian School seem to be. Perhaps he was misinterpreting the concept of sado-masochism, and thinking I meant it in its colloquial, whips-and-leather meaning. Reading my initial post from start to finish (It wasn't all that long -- ten lines of text.) should have sufficed to show that I wasn't, and that I specifically gave credit to those kinds of Christians that Chip and I, no doubt, would both find more or less politically congenial. There is no "put-down" in this.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema