SDUSA, part 2

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 7 22:46:26 PDT 2001

When do you think that someonw will do the decent thing and break the terms of Hook's will so that his book *Towards the Understanding of Karl Marx* can be republished?

Jim F.

I was lucky to find a copy from 1932, about 10 years ago for $10. Wish, I'd also picked up on the same day, the "Robert Forsythe" a/k/a Kyle Crichton, I think, book that on the inside front covers had the most slanderous cartoon of A.J. Muste's American Workers Party, "Trotskyites, " and others to the left of the Pop Front CPUSA.

On republishing...ask Ed D'Angelo, where he heard that it may be re-issued. Michael Pugliese

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward D'Angelo" <edwdangelo at HOTMAIL.COM> To: <SPSM-LIST at LISTSERV.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 3:09 PM Subject: Sidney Hook's Marxism

In an earlier post, someone in our group referred to the book YOUNG SIDNEY HOOK:MARXIST AND PRAGMATIST written by Christopher Phelps. I just finished reading this book and would highly recommend it.Phelps contends that the young Hook, who considered that Marxism needs to be complemented with a scientific pragmatist viewpoint,is someone that Marxists would find beneficial in developing current Marxist theory.Of particular interest are the following:

"The Philosophy of Dialectical Materialism," JOURNAL OF PHILOSOPHY,Part 1,Vol.25,No.5, March 1,1928 and Part 2,Vol.25,No.6,March 15,1928.

"Why I am a Communist," ( actually the original title was "Marxism Without Dogmas") in THE MEANING OF MARX ed.by S.Hook: N.Y.,Farrar and Rinehart,1934 and reprinted in the 4th ed. of AMERICAN INTELLECTUAL TRADITION edited BY Hollinger and Capper,Oxford U.Press.

TOWARDS THE UNDERSTANDING OF KARL MARX,A REVOLUTIONARY INTERPRETATION,N.Y.: John Day, 1933 ( may be reissued by Prometheus)

FROM HEGEL TO MARX, N.Y.:Columbia U. Press edition,with an introduction by C.Phelps.