Bradford Riots

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sun Jul 8 03:47:56 PDT 2001

G'day all,

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1425000/video/_1428325_riots04_simmonds_vi.ram

I've the impression that this is all being orchestrated by a rather small but very cunning Skinhead-Central bent on exhuming ol' Enoch. All that's happening right now is that Anglo-Pakistani youths are seeing bobbies arresting Anglo-Pakistanis; all the bobbies are seeing is Anglo-Pakistanis hurting their colleagues, and all Mr and Mrs Bradford are seeing is Anglo-Pakistanis burning their cars and intimidating their neighbours. I actually don't think the NF has been nearly strong enough to orchestrate a really large street demo anywhere in Britain for years (not as large as any counter-demo, anyway), yet they're currently managing to advance their agenda quite neatly, don't you think?

The upside might be that skinheads will think twice before they stick their pates out the door, but this could well be outweighed by the downside - which is that old cleavages are being deepened just as hard economic times lie in wait.

If Jim Heartfield or a fellow northerner is on the list, a local reading of the situation would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.