"Intellectual"

David Hearne ottercrk at sover.net
Mon Jul 9 07:33:20 PDT 2001

This point may have already been brought up, but shouldn't we differentiate between the "professonial" definition of "intellectual" (i.e., the college profressor, the scientist) versus "intellectual" as a certain personality type? The latter seems a lot harder to describe. As my brother said, "What does being 'anti-intellectual' mean? That you're pro-stupid?"

Gordon Fitch's shot at Richard Hofstadter was well-aimed, but you have to really wonder about how much currency deep thought has in the USA. My father once complimented me for my willingness to educate myself after college. "Well, everybody educates themselves," I said. No, they do not, he replied in a firm voice.

Was my father being snobbish or observant? Or both? Despite what I said, I was obviously pleased. Hey, how many people can cite John Stuart Mill, a sociological book about the juvenile deliquency scare in the fifties, a six-hundred-page biography on Pope John Paul II and "I, Claudius" among the last ten books they've read? On the other hand, what does that really mean? Does this make my intellect any sharper than the next person's?

-- David