Germany battles to attract skilled immigrants

jean-christophe helary helary at niji.or.jp
Mon Jul 9 07:44:40 PDT 2001

> Eder says reports of xenophobia certainly do not help, but he thinks
> Germany's main problem is finding people who speak the language. "We need to
> make our workplaces more international and encourage the use of English in
> companies," he said.

instead of having german literacy classes for migrants ? sure, we would not want them to feel at home after they stay to the limit of their 5 year visa...

> Germany must also lower its taxes -- top rate paid by even middle-income
> earners is 48.5 percent -- if it is to attract the top people it wants, the
> mass circulation Bild newspaper said in an editorial this week.
> Cuny would tend to agree, saying she will probably stay the five years
> allowed by her Green Card but no more.
> "I think I'm in the highest tax bracket. I'm used to paying about half that.
> There are no special exemptions for me." (Reuters)

but cuny is from the us and is probably not used to what people get by paying higher taxes either. ie social security, cheap education incl uni etc... and i have the feeling the top people germany wants, coming mostly from developping countries, are probably not bothered by the high level of taxes anyway.

jc helary