lbo-talk-digest V1 #4578

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 9 18:05:49 PDT 2001

In a message dated 01-07-09 19:03:37 EDT, c. berlet writes:

<< Hate to be picky, but the progressive review here conflates

denominational Protestants, evangelicals, and

fundamentalists.>>

No problem with your being picky, posting something doesn't necessarily mean endorsement. just thought it was interesting, no knowledge of or attachment to the research itself (which was evidently done under the aegis of the National Review, or originally published there - and just cited in the Progressive Review).- or to the conclusions drawn. The follow-ups from you and N. Newman equally interesting.

Les

> ...also from progressive review

> <<WE HAVE OCCASIONALLY noted that this country has always

had Christian

> fundamentalists. We just used to call them New Deal

Democrats. Some

> evidence to support this from the National Review: in 1960

only 38% of

> active evangelical Protestants were Republican; by 1988

the figure had

> grown to 53%. The way to turn this trend around is to

emphasize populist